Chicken Death & Body

Sarah2020

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
I have a question and I’m wondering if anyone finds this weird or has done this themselves. Our beloved chicken died this morning and we are unable to bury her on our property. So I’ve been calling around for cremation services and it looks like the only person that will be able to come by and get her body during the holidays won’t return ashes. So my question is, I was thinking about plucking some of her feathers to create a little long term memorial. Is this safe (health-wise)?

The feathers will stay softer and pliable longer if you skin the birds cape and saddle. Then just fold a paper towel and place it skin side down to absorb the oils for about a week. As long as it doesn’t get wet it’ll be fine for a long time.

I am sorry for you loss! I always take some feathers off of my beloved flock members when they pass and put them in a scrap book, and with it I write down a few things about them! Then I can look back and read about all my favorite and much missed peeps!

Sounds like it’s a more common practice than I thought! At first it felt so natural and then I was having second thoughts about taking from her body but... I’m not sure why. Probably because this is my first hen loss and I’m panicking about everything.
Totally understandable. We were lucky with one of our girls, we were able to have her necropsied and they cremated her and returned her to us. The others the lab wasn't open for us to take them and so all we have is feathers. Our kids want to start a shadow box with the feathers we saved so we remember them. We have a small flock and for now that works.

Back
Top Bottom