Chicken Death From Disease? Or trauma?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WyattsChickens, Nov 2, 2015.

1. WyattsChickens

WyattsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    We started out with three chickens. We lost one of them to a bear attack which was very traumatic to the other chickens although they were unscathed. One of our chickens was weary for a couple days but then went back to her normal energetic self. However the other, which since we first got her has had no feathers around her butt/vent. She acted even stranger than before, she wouldn't stand up to poop, which was diarrhea for a week straight, she would stay in the coop nesting box for the majority of the day. The day before she died I found her outside laying on her side with her toes curled quietly peeping like a baby chick would. I took her to the nesting box and she did stand up and move around a little bit but the next morning I found her dead in the same pose as before. I also found a normal brown egg from our other chicken and a brown egg speckled with white spots all over it. I'm not sure what happened and appreciate any help.

Also, now that we only have 1 hen, should we be getting another? She seems lonely. Thanks for all the help and advice:)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your losses. Yes, I would definitely try to find a couple more hens to keep the others company. But just use caution to try and find healthy ones from a reputable source in your area. Many people this time of year will offer extra hens they don't want to feed over the winter, so it can be a good time to find some. There are state threads here on BYC, and if you state what state or area you live in or near, many BYC people may some of theirs to share.

3. WyattsChickens

WyattsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Thank you for your condolences and the info about buying new hens:) I'm just baffled by the random death. She seemed healthy a couple days after the stressful event but over the past week her health deteriorated and her behavior was estranged. I guess it's better now that's she no longer has to suffer. Poor girl:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by