1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken death..why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dddockins, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dddockins

dddockins New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Jackson MO
    I am new to raising chickens but have spent a great deal of money and become attached to my girls. My chickens are 12-16 weeks old and have been in their new cool for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I discovered my 14 week old buff polish wouldn't stand and was very lethargic. The other polish would walk around like she was drunk and limping on one leg with a drooped wing. I immediately pulled these two from the clock and put them in the sick bay pen. I gave them both electrolytes and the buff died 10 minutes later. I noticed bloody poop in her cage. Her litter mate was going crazy and seemed to be in pain. Since I was so worried it was coccidiosis I made the horrible desicion to euthanize her. I had bought every possible book and have been completely overwhelmed by information and loss. I don't have unlimited resources, a chicken vet or any idea what the problem was. I love the remaining 4 birds and am afraid another situation will present itself and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss, and welcome to BYC. Cociddiosis is common in chicks, and Corid from the feed store cattle section, can treat it. Symptoms are runny poops with mucus or blood, lethargic or sleepy behaviour, hunching or puffing up, and not eating. Keep your droppings cleaned up by raking bedding, and adding new pine shavings when needed. Keep down wet spots by raising waterers up to should height. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days.

3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Sorry for your loss. There is a learning curve, sometimes littered with dead bodies.

Coccidia is one of easier problems to manage once you know basic reproduction cycle. It has a direct life cycle which means animal eats one oocyte and twenty one days later full blown coccidiosis.

So, chicks hatch and you treat twenty one days later. Then, treat again twenty one days after last treatment. Usually two or three cycles and they are old enough to have resistance IF they have been out on dirt/grass.

Coccidia is in environment and in animal's gut all the time. Their immune system keeps it from becoming a problem. Anything that stresses animal can cause immune system to be overwhelmed. So, you learn to keep close eye when animals are stressed. For example if I were to move a pen of birds to a new pen/coop that were older, hadn't been treated in six months, I might go ahead and treat.

Always treat everyone in a group/pen if one has problems. If i already have a bird sick, I would actually give them a dose individually rather than depending on it to drink enough water with meds.

1 person likes this.
  4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for you, friend.
    Sure wish you'd have come here for help sooner. You must be devastated.
    Chickens on Corid show improvement after only a few hours (seriously).
    If kept on treatment for the entire 5 days, they are good to go.
    You should start the remaining birds on it now.

5. dddockins

dddockins New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Jackson MO
    Thank you all so much. I bought the Corid and will start the others on it right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by