Chicken Death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KaitlynRae1, May 31, 2016.

1. KaitlynRae1

KaitlynRae1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Haleiwa, Hawai'i
    This morning I went out to let my chickens out (I have three at the moment well now two) and my eldest, only being about three or four months old, had white mucus draining from her vent and didn't run away from me like she usually does. She went and stood in one of the nesting boxes and didn't move when I petted her or picked her up so I knew something was very wrong. I took her up to the deck and tried to give her soggy food and water. She wouldn't stand on her own. I was feeling her crop and it was squishy but not big. She was puking up a brown colored liquid and after 45 minutes of holding her on a towel in my lap she died. She was completely fine last night, or she seemed to be fine, when I put her to bed. I am pretty devastated she died she is my first chicken to die. Anyways, now I am worried about the other two chickens who are eight weeks old. Does anyone have any idea what my first chicken had and do you think it is contagious? Or a way I can try and protect my other two? They are acting normal and their crops feel fine. Do I need to be worried or is there anything I can do?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

First let me say welcome to byc and I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

I have not heard that description before but am not as experienced as many here. I hope you get an answer.

Sorry I could only offer moral support.
    Best wishes!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds a bit like she had sour crop. Did she just vomit on her own, or were you holding her when she vomited? I once had a hen who was in the process of dying, and she vomited and suddenly got a twisted neck in the last seconds of life. Your state vet may be able to do a necropsy on her to look for a cause of death if you refrigerate her remains.

4. KaitlynRae1

KaitlynRae1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Haleiwa, Hawai'i
    That's what I thought but she just died so suddenly with no warning. She was vomiting without me touching her. What is a twisted neck? I already buried her. What can I do to make sure my other chicks don't get sour crop? Should I put Apple-cider vinegar in their water and if so how often and how much?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by