TbChiCken

Chirping
Sep 2, 2020
Hello,
Yesterday we lost on of our White Leghorns. Everything was clean, nothing blocked, crawling or squirming. We have two roosters, but didnt see any blood on her head from a potential peck. We found her in the corner. Could it be a sickness, all of our other chickens are well and laying. The copp is secured from predators.
What killed our chicken?
Thank you

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
If predator proof no obv signs gona say some kinda illness how old was she? Any strange symptoms? Lethargic walking drunk wheezing etc ? Sorry for ur loss 💖

Isaac 0

Waterfowl Fanatic
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Welcome to BYC. Very sorry for your loss.

If there were no external lacerations to indicate she was being attacked, I would make the strong assumption she died by an illness. Sadly, over the internet, we're not going to be able to give you a reliable reason why she might have died. If you still have her body, I would suggest wrapping it up, and setting her in the fridge, until you can send her to your state veterinary necropsy lab. Some states only charge a minimal fee, and you'll get a better answer then anyone on here will be able to give.

Here is some more info regarding sending her into a necropsy lab if you do still have her body,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

Vickischics

BYC Songster & Master Egg Collector!
Premium Feather Member
May 6, 2020
Space Coast of Florida
Thank you for listing your where - abouts on this globe. I see your writing from Iowa. Here is your States Veterinary Hospital info to send the bird for a Necropsy.

Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Iowa State University

Ames, IA 50010
Phone: (515) 294-1950
Fax: (515) 294-3564
I am very sorry to read about your Leghorn. That is so sad when it happens so suddenly.

Isaac 0

Waterfowl Fanatic
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Thank you for listing your where - abouts on this globe. I see your writing from Iowa. Here is your States Veterinary Hospital info to send the bird for a Necropsy.

Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Iowa State University

Ames, IA 50010
Phone: (515) 294-1950
Fax: (515) 294-3564
I am very sorry to read about your Leghorn. That is so sad when it happens so suddenly.
I live in Iowa, but no where does It state where the OP lives.

Top Bottom