Chicken Death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conradfam87, Oct 25, 2011.

1. conradfam87

conradfam87 New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    Hi everyone! My family and I are new members to this forum, but I have looked to you for advice on many different topics related to the care of our birds before. We suffered a great loss this morning, our beloved pet and rooster, Butter, passed away. My little sister, who bought him as a chick from Tractor Supply a year and a half ago, is absolutely devastated. Yes he was a big white rooster, but he wasn't JUST a rooster. He was a big part of my family and the leader of my flock.

I was just wondering how others cope when they lose a roo, hen, or other animal. I've lost hens before, but I've never felt this emotional about losing a chicken. Also, I can definitely see a difference in the rest of my birds- they are acting somewhat somber and it's as if they know he is gone and they are feeling that emotional loss as well. Will losing big Butter have a major impact on my girls? How long should I wait before I try to replace him with another roo?

Thank you for all of your help and advice!

The Conrad Family

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There are roosters, then there are the best roosters one could ever own. I can relate...trying to find "the best" rooster is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It hurts to lose a valued rooster, a friend that you know and trust to watch over the hens and will give his life to protect his hens. Like you mentioned hens know when their caretaker is gone and they know something isnt right. Hens eventually adapt without a rooster, the alpha hen will take charge...but nothing like a rooster. You can start looking for a rooster now if you wish...I prefer a rooster over a year old...the older the better. They are usually gentleman and know how to treat the hens and protect them and die for them if necessary. It's hard finding an older rooster like that and people wont let go of them...I dont blame them one bit. Sorry you lost Butter. Good luck finding another roo and remember biosecurity if you find one, and keep in mind they are all different and wont be exactly like Butter.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am so sorry for your loss. Butter sounds like he was a wonderful rooster and pet. Folks on this board know how you feel. You asked how others cope? I cry. I grieve. And then, I try to remember how much my hen was loved, what a good life I gave her, and how grateful I am for her eggs and participation in my life. I only have hens, but when I lose one, the others will feel the loss too and have to readjust with one less bird. I give them extra treats and attention for a few days after a loss. They recover.

I don't know how long you should wait before you get another rooster, I will let others answer that one.
    [​IMG]

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    lot of tears. I just lost one and I am still sad. This is really the only place you can say that you cried your heart out over a chicken and yes I did. So sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by