Chicken death

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6Chickens&counting, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    She was only about 2 years old... she wasn't the oldest.... an americana.... found her in her coop just lying there.... what had happened?

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Did you inspect her carefully? Any signs of attack, or lice, mites, worms, etc? How was her behavior before she died? Was she eating normal? Pooping normal? If she was diseased, she may have a runny nose, crust in her eyes, or swollen face. If she had fowl pox, you'll notice blackish scabs on comb or around face. That's just a few suggestions. Post more info and we will try to get to the bottom of it. You may have better luck getting help in the diseases forum.

3. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    No sign of any worms or lice not even the crust just as if she died of old age.... earlier though we thought she was egg bound but she started laying again and then out of nowhere she just passed away.... she wasn't attacked or anything.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Way back when I started with chickens I read to expect a 10% loss of chickens per year. So with my normal flock size that would be 1.2 chickens out of 12! I never had that much loss, sometimes the flocks went 2 years with no losses. Sometimes One would die for no apparent reason & one flock over the last 19 years I lost 3 in about six months. I have always found that most of my chickens died either shortly after starting to lay or right after molt when they started to lay again. If there is no obvious cause of death, it may just be some problem that couldn't be detected. If all others look healthy, I would watch & try not to worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by