Chicken deformities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephenH98, Apr 3, 2017.

1. StephenH98

StephenH98 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    I'm a first time chicken owner I have 2 baby chickens there 2 weeks Wednesday my one chicken I got from Tractor supply I got as a donation was born with half a leg type thing and had the back claw on the leg but that's that He/she (not sure yet) eats drinks and poops just fine and moves around as if it had 2 legs I'm just concerned when it gets older if it will be able to Maintain his body weight I would think not so I come here to ask if there's a way I can build him like a prosthetic leg or something and how I would go about doing this

2. KyloRenChicken7

KyloRenChicken7 Just Hatched

Sep 2, 2016
    So sorry to hear about your little chick! At least he/she sounds like they're doing okay so far [​IMG]

I've heard of people just taping a stick to the chicken's foot once they're fully grown and the chickens look fine. I guess you'd have to reapply the tape since chickens are always getting dirty and scratching around the dirt, which might be a pain.

I've seen duck prosthetics before... maybe those would fit if there's enough of the leg still there?? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. peaceisgreen

peaceisgreen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    no telling without a pic

4. StephenH98

StephenH98 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    is it the left one? I can't tell what's going on with the angle and lighting

6. KyloRenChicken7

KyloRenChicken7 Just Hatched

Sep 2, 2016
    People seem to generally make the prosthetics themselves. Quite a few are 3D printed but that seems hard to come by.

Making your own would be the best option, experimenting with different materials until you find something that works. Hopefully since he/she was hatched with this they'll know how to adapt and you won't need to.

Good luck with your chick!

7. peaceisgreen

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    i could 3d print prosthetics but i lack the required files the one i did find was very crude and probably wouldnt work in stephen's situation if i can find a decent one i will let you know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by