Chicken depressed?

yolkie123

Hatching
Apr 3, 2015
I have just gotten new chicks that hatched about 3 weeks ago and I have one chick that is not the smallest or any different from the others but just won't interact with the others. She just sits in the corner of the cage while the other chicks are interacting and having fun with each other. They are all running around as she is just sitting alone in the corner of the cage. It is worrying me because she is also constantly sleeping it seems. I took them outside today because it was a beautiful, sunny, with 70 degree weather and while all of the chicks bounced out of the cage the one chick wouldn't come out and even when I did her her to come out she sat by me and wouldn't leave. Is she depressed? May she be sick? What's going on with her?

she sounds sick it may be wise to put save-a-chick electrolytes in the water and maybe some teramyacine or something close just dont mix them so one or the other i would start with save-a-chick then if she is not getting better move on to teramyacine sugar water will help her move around as well that is better spoon fed

thought i would add they can all drink it it will not hurt them

Last edited:
Thank you so much i will absolutely try that (quote name="MySweetChickens" url="/t/969070/chicken-depressed#post_15095879"]she sounds sick it may be wise to put save-a-chick electrolytes in the water and maybe some teramyacine or something close just dont mix them so one or the other i would start with save-a-chick then if she is not getting better move on to teramyacine sugar water will help her move around as well that is better spoon fed

thought i would add they can all drink it it will not hurt them

Last edited:
Is the chick being bullied at all? Usually that is a reason they hang back or hide. You may want to get her Polyvisol(no iron) infant drops. They are available at drug stores or Walmart, etc. otc. You can give her 2 drops 3 times a day. If she will eat something you can put them on it, if not just put two drops at the front or side of her mouth, so she can push them out, if she doesn't want to swallow. You don't want it aspirating into her lungs.

Have you tried giving her special treats like a finely mashed hard boiled egg yolk, moistened with a bit of water or plain yogurt. Sometimes having something new will start up a reluctant chick. She may like small slices of grapes or some watermelon- which will also help hydrate her. Have you checked her for mites, lice, any kind of sores or wounds?
some alone time with you- not the flock. She might appreciate some alone time with you. You might let her cuddle with you when you watch tv, etc.and share some treat with her.
She may have a need for greater warmth than her flockmates.

Have you seen her eat and drink on her own? Does she hold back until the others have finished? I don't think she is depressed, I think she has issues maybe health, or not.

I have a new baby chick that hatched about an hour ago, I walked out in my goat barn and heard peeping. I did not know a hen was even in there. The baby chick was in the corner of the barn among about 15 eggs. Although he was hatched, wet, moving, peeping, and still even had its imbullical cord. It hatched without the hen on her eggs. She was out with my other chickens in one of our large fields. I brought the chick in imediatly and put him under a heating lamp while all wrapped up in a blanket. Its been about an hour and the hen is still not back on her eggs and this little chick is trying to stand but every time he does he falls backwards. I think he may have a deformality in his legs. Im very confused by this and will be greatful for any explinations

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom