Chicken deterent

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drp2172000, Oct 11, 2007.

1. drp2172000

drp2172000 New Egg

Oct 11, 2007
    Does anyone know how I an keep my chickens from traveling to the front of my house where they keep droping little dirty surprises on my driveway. I prefer not to fence and thought maybe there was something they prefered to stay away from.[​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'll probably get [​IMG] for this but...I "trained" my chickens to stay in my yard by spraying them with the hose. Not on full blast, just the "shower" setting. It works, they stay.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

No slaps, Angie! We trained our babies to recognize the command "Off the porch" by using a spray bottle (water). They normally can come up but when we have dinner they get too aggressive so we banned 'em.

So I'm w/ ya: we love our babies but they need to know what is OK. Eating off my plate when we BarBQ is not OK.
    Well, it's not OK if we have guests. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    do you sit at your table eating and have a spray bottle standing by or do they know not to come around the table? I never dreamed they could be trained not to come around the table. We have to have barbeques after the chickens are put up for the night and the tables get scrubbed down! [​IMG] I think that is absolutely awesome that they can actually be trained!! [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I turn on our lawn sprinkler when our chickies go up front on our new grass.
    Trouble is they are starting to get used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by