Chicken Deworming Protocols

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ourlilfarm2015, Aug 28, 2016.

1. ourlilfarm2015

ourlilfarm2015 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Northeast NE
    Okay I am a newbie to the world of chicken ownership. I have 10 silver lace Wyandotte hens that are approximately going on 4 months old as well as 2 ducks. They are on crumble feed that is grower mixed with layer in the process of switching completely to layer (they also get scratch grain more as a daily treat and kitchen scraps - have also watched them kill and eat a mouse that was quite the massacre to witness that's a story for another day lol). I have my dogs, horses, and barn cats all on their own deworming protocols per species but I am curious if my 10 chickens and 2 ducks should be on some sort of protocol as well. I assume they get parasites just the same as any other critter and I also am aware they can get coccidiosis.

Now as far as deworming methods/products I am more so interested in veterinary approved/recommended methods vs the homeopathic type but will take all recommendations into consideration. Would love if someone's recommendations are actually what their vet told them to do (we have zero vets in our area that deal with chickens).

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens aren't longed lived enough to worry about deworming unless you actually see there's a problem. Most animals shouldn't be wormed on a schedule anymore as it makes worms resistant to wormers and many no longer work. I have never wormed any of my chickens and don't believe it's necessary under most circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  3. ourlilfarm2015

ourlilfarm2015 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Northeast NE
    I routinely have fecals ran on the other animals to see what we have going on and deworm with the appropriate product.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's good to here. Hopefully other give you some good ideas on what they do. I have read about using garlic and pumpkins for a natural approach.

5. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I would like to get some input on what i do.

I keep my chickens nest boxes clean. When I see poppy eggs, I add 1 TBS (Table Spoon) of food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) their feed and mix it up real well. When they have eaten all their feed I repeat the DE treatment. Then i resume nomal feeded. It isnt a few days later they lay clean eggs again.

I read somewhere poopy eggs means worms but decided to try DE for teatement and it seems to work great.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    Thank you for the info crealbilly. I will definitely remember that.

7. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA

Your welcome...

Im totally into natural things to tend to my chickens. So i went looking and sure enough I found someone who is deworming the same way I am - with DE

Its good to verify sometimes...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @ourlilfarm2015 There are very few products approved for poultry....finding a vet well versed in poultry might be tough.
    Ask the place that does your other fecals if they know about poultry parasites.

@crealbilly just because you read it on the internet, does not make it true.
    You will find many make many claims for the wondrous cure-all DE...many of them are false.
    DE does not kill internal parasites and poopy eggs are can be caused by many things not just a worm infestation.

9. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA

Thanks aart i realize there are some outlandish DE claims out there. Im no medical doctor or vet so i cant speak to it from that perspective. But what I can say is its working for me so far.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by