1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken diaper....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jul 11, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope its okay here. I have a special needs chicken, her name is Mary Belle and she's 11 weeks old. She's blind in one eye, and I thought she was getting along well in the coop with the rest of the flock. Well, I picked her up yesterday only to find that she's not getting along as well as I thought she was. She's very skinny (you can feel her keel bone), I feel awful. So today she's in my house so I can monitor her food intake a little better. I have some old t-shirts and I want to use them to make her some diapers. So can someone tell me how to make a quick temporary diaper for my little special chicken? It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to catch her poop. She's a cochin, if that makes any difference. Oh, and how often would I have to change the diaper and clean her up everyday? Right now she's sitting on my couch watching cartoons with my daughter and soaking up some AC since its hot, hot, hot outside. My DH is gonna kill me when he sees I have a chicken in the house.......again. Thanks in advance!!!!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I was going to post the same question... but someone beat me too it! Ugly Boy (name sorta stuck after he was beat up BADLY by another roo) has become a house chicken in the evenings.Being an outcast of the flock, hes lonely, so he comes in to spend the evening with DH. Tired of following him around tho [​IMG]

Good luck with your girl... and DH!

Shannon

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thanks so much for the link Nicole01, there's just a couple of problems I have. I CAN'T SEW..... [​IMG] and I don't have any velcro or elastic. My daughter has some old bathing suits though. So I'm off to see what I can come up with. I'm sure my poor little chicken will have the most unstylish diaper ever. FLchook- good luck with your poor roo, and thanks for the kind words [​IMG]

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Have you looked on Ebay? I imagine you can buy one since places sell them for parrots and even parakeets....come in all sizes. Even try Drs. Smith & Foster.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    There is a forum member named lovemychix that makes the diapers. Check the everything else for sale and she has them advertised. good luck!

7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I had thought about going to Petsmart and buying some of those doggie diapers to see if they would work, but I need one now [​IMG] She is now wearing a VERY unfashionable diaper. I don't dare post pics, but I worked with what I had. And I'll just say she's a Victorias Secret girl....

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'd do a google and see if you can find someone to make one for you. It's best to have it custom made for the best fit. I bought Velcro and elastic in two sizes off eBay. I already have quilting material. My sewing machine is not working properly and needs to be cleaned/serviced. I can't lift it to take it myself, I need dh to do it. I never made one either, I've only made quilts. I haven't quilted for a while, I tried, but it's difficult to sew since my neck injury.

Bathingsuit material probably will not work well. I would imagine it would fall apart. Plus, the material stretches very easily. Cotton would work best. Good luck finding the diaper. I'm sure there are people who sell them on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by