Chicken Diapers: Am I a fool or is there a trick?

Breac

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Wisconsin
I've had to keep various chickens in the house over the years, and during that time I've tried chicken diapers with various but have experienced nothing but failure. The ones I got came from MyPetChicken. The problems are two-fold: first, the diaper always seems to sit just below the vent. No matter how much I position, it always slips to just below the 'catch zone', rendering it useless. I've tried going down a size for the bird, but no luck. The only way to keep it in place is to keep the straps fairly tight, which leads directly to the next (and more concerning) issue: they hurt the birds. It only takes about a week for my poor girls to develop sores on their wingpits where the straps dig in. It's quite obvious these particular diapers are just plain uncomfortable for the animals! This has happened to more than one bird and keeps resulting in me abandoning the diapers in favor of penning them in one room with a bunch of towels on the floor.

I'd love to find a way to get these things to work for my birds, but have never had any luck. Has anyone else worked with diapers and gotten the hang of them? Is there something I'm not getting here? Some input would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can make them out of socks @HuffleClaw did it. you could also sew your own.
I don't own a sewing machine and am not particularly gifted in that area. Also, the current bird in question tends to have very watery poop, so anything without a plastic liner will get wet and saturated VERY fast. Lining a diaper with paper towels or sanitary pads isn't an option for her.

I feel your pain. I have a house rooster who wears diapers and it has taken months of alterations to a store bought diaper and then finally making my own from scratch but I now believe my design is almost flawless. It does involve a small amount of hand sewing though and is lined with cheap thin sanitary pads cut into shape. I don't have a picture at the moment but the design involves one of those little velvet gift sacks/bags jewellery sometimes come with. You can order them online in various sizes. Then I sew on straps made of elastic and attached with the smaller versions of the plastic clips they use on backpacks (also ordered from ebay).

The secret is the bag is kept in place by not two but four straps coming from the middle of the bird's back down to the sides of the bag part (two on each side). Also the straps that go around the wings/shoulders meet in the middle in the same place on the ba ck, which keeps them from sagging apart around to the butt zone.

I will get a photo in a minute.

20181111_123527.jpg
20181111_123527.jpg
20181111_123523.jpg
20181111_123433.jpg
20181111_123729.jpg

Attachments

• 20181111_123346.jpg
    20181111_123346.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 2
I've had to keep various chickens in the house over the years, and during that time I've tried chicken diapers with various but have experienced nothing but failure.... Is there something I'm not getting here? Some input would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps these folks have an idea or a product that will help you. cowbrazier.com

This devise is designed to transfer the weight of a cows' udder onto her back. What I wonder is if this devise will make it necessary for cows to undergo udder reduction surgery to relive the back aches that well endowed cows will surely experience after wearing these bras.

I decided to forgo posting a picture of a cow's brazier because I am worried that some of you would object to pictures of Bossies under ware. Besides, that might embarrass the cow. :lau

Back
Top Bottom