Chicken diarrhea or vent gleet ?

Pa Chicks

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2022
West Middlesex, Pa
I’m very new to owning chickens. My 7 hens are 8 months old. One of them seems to have a bad case of diarrhea ? Or is it vent gleet? Not sure how to tell. I have been feeding home grown pumpkins from my pumpkin patch. Two are showing signs of running poop. One is getting better the other still seems bad. I have a picture …( as a new member not sure if it’s okay post pictures??)

Definitely post pics. Vent gleet is inflammation of the cloaca. Diarrhea can be a symptom, but you would also see indications on the bird's vent (pasty butt and inflamed). Here's more info:

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/vent-gleet

If they're eating a lot of pumpkin, it can throw off the nutritional balance they need from their chicken feed and cause issues. I would discontinue feeding pumpkin.

E8B81969-D583-4A20-B40A-0FEFBCC98410.png

Attachments

• 4DC4AB88-98AA-48A4-82AD-D1A91047A6AC.jpeg
    4DC4AB88-98AA-48A4-82AD-D1A91047A6AC.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 5
I’m very new to owning chickens. My 7 hens are 8 months old. One of them seems to have a bad case of diarrhea ? Or is it vent gleet? Not sure how to tell. I have been feeding home grown pumpkins from my pumpkin patch. Two are showing signs of running poop. One is getting better the other still seems bad. I have a picture …( as a new member not sure if it’s okay post pictures??)

Thank you both so much. I appreciate the help. I’m learning every day. I will wash her up and no more pumpkin!
Giving the pumpkin is fine, I wouldn't worry about that.

It looks like she's got some cecal poop stuck to the fluff of her bum. Just wash it off. Some hens are fluffier than others or some are a bit lazier poopers and poop stick.
Some trim a bit of the fluff around the vent so poop doesn't stick so easily but washing bums up every once in a while, is often just part of chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom