1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken died for no apparent reason!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skye_k23, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Skye_k23

Skye_k23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Northern New Mexico
    went to my coop this evening and found a chicken dead. no injuries seemed fine this morning. what might have happened and should i worry about the others?

2. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm having the same problem. Hope you get some help too. MY chicken died for no reason. After a few weeks, another died. So sad.

3. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    If you haven't already, start giving them apple cider vinegar in their water. It might prevent any others from passing from whatever it is. Get ACV "with the mother", like Bragg's brand, not your ordinary ACV in the grocery store. Add 1 Tablespoon to every gallon of water. Hopefully you can prevent losing any more - so sorry!

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Did you examine the body at all to look for symptoms? I don't mean blood or open wounds, I mean swollen crop or belly etc. Maybe it was egg bound (but only possible if the chicken was an adult hen). I am really sorry for you. One of mine died mysteriously last week, after a few days of illness. Sadly, we weren't able to trace/identify the cause. I feel for you [​IMG]

5. Skye_k23

May 24, 2011
    Northern New Mexico
    she was not old enough to lay. she hatched end of july I think. Everyone seemed fine. a little bit of loose stools but i figured that was from getting into the goats rolled oats and boss. started using new bedding in nest boxes. gonna switch back just in case. I will get asv tomorrow. I am just so woried. never lost a chicken to illness.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Loose stools are often caused by what theyve been eating. You need to keep an eye on the others and separate the ones that start to show symptoms (if it turns out to be a contagious illness you are dealing with)
    Keep posting and i will help you if possible [​IMG]

7. Skye_k23

May 24, 2011
    Northern New Mexico
    so far everyone else seems fine. i have confined them to the yard and have been watching all of the closely. i will let you know.

8. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I found one of my White Rock hens dead this evening. She was 7 months old and had shown no sign of sickness. She was right beside the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by