1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken died last night, can I eat her now?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by linzanimals, Jan 16, 2009.

1. linzanimals

linzanimals New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Hey sadly my hen died due to an impacted crop last night or somewhere in the night! I didn't find her until 3 this afternoon, body cold. She's in the fridge now....is it okay to cook her? I don't wanna waste her life if I don't have too!! What would you do?[​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i would dress her and see what her inards look like look for the usual? what do you think killed her? are you gonna eat right a way, or stick in deep freeze? im sorry just re read impacted crop? Id eat her? unless she has been above 50 degrees for longer then 2 hrs

3. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I wouldn't but then I'm a nurse and always on the "lookout" for some other disease. Give her a proper burial and don't do it.[​IMG]

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I personally wouldn't either, my mind would be telling all sorts of things.

5. LOVE the avatar.

When I had a meat bird die, I did not eat her. JMHO.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't eat anything that died of natural causes.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The rule of thumb is never eat the meat from an animal you did not
    see killed, by now her tissue is still full of blood and what not, and she will not be very good, plus the health factor. No don't process her.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I definately would not eat it..
    too many IF's..
    I never eat anything that dies on it's own.. I do not even butcher cripled or deformed birds.. I have so many healthy ones to choose from..

9. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Eating isn't the only option for a found-dead bird.

If you're pretty darn sure what she died of, you could eat her. But it might not be the best meat, or the healthiest for you. Especially since she just died and wasn't butchered properly to begin with. The bird would be tough.

You could always chop the whole bird into pieces, grill them until well done and feed them to your pet (if you have one). I would recommend this done on an indoor pet only, so it won't get any ideas with your still-healthy chickens.

If you don't want to risk giving your pets a taste for chicken, put her on the compost pile (if you have one. If you don't, start one! It's a nice thing to have.) She'll decompose, and her nutrients will be returned to the earth to fuel the growth of bugs, that will feed your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by