Chicken died..now no one is laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leree1019, Mar 18, 2011.

1. leree1019

leree1019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    South Jersey
    Except for my leg horn. Is this odd? Will the ever recover from their grief??[​IMG]

2. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Trauma and stress like this does affect how hens will lay. When the possums attacked one of my hens, the others all stopped laying.

But they do recover rather quickly; chickens are hardy creatures and snap back from trauma much quicker than other animals tend to. Not to worry.

3. me2pl

me2pl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Chico, California
    kinda funny, last summer, we had the top of our pecking order die of heatstroke, everybody stopped laying.
    last fall, a black sex-link (my avatar) died from a border collie attack, but because she was not high on the pecking order, no one cared but me

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We had a dog get into the coop and take the chicks and the girls just kept laying like nothing.

WE added 3 new hens to the flock and the took a day off. I think in protest. They are back to normal now!

5. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I've had my hens stop laying twice when others have gotten killed. The first killing they all saw in their own coop from a coon, my bad, forgot to close the door, inadequate fencing..they all stopped laying but her best friend never laid a normal egg again. Tragicly she was then killed about a month ago along with another one, on a free range day. Someone else's dog came into my yard and almost killed 4 but two got a way, two did not. They quit laying for about a week. They wouldnt even go outside in their fenced pen for 2 days. Now they are back to normal and want outside to free range again. Just give them time, depends on how close they were how long it will take.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Thank goodness for Leghorns:) The others will come back on line. Chickens hate change. They are routine orientated critters.

7. leree1019

leree1019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    South Jersey
    Thanks so much to everyone for the comments. Today when I went out and had two eggs so obviously someone is feeling better. However one was cracked and eaten so clearly they need to express their displeasure with me still. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by