Chicken died & other three sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindymolitor, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cindymolitor

cindymolitor New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    We're first time chicken owners and have (had) three hens and one rooster. We got them last October and the girls began laying in February. About two weeks ago we began to notice that one of the hens wasn't very chatty and her comb started to fade from a bright red to a very light pink. She died yesterday. None of the hens has laid an egg in over a week. We haven't heard the rooster crow in over a week. The three surviving birds are very lethargic and now the rooster has black spots on his face. They're hardly eating or drinking. Their poop looks normal. I just snapped a picture but can't figure out how to attach it to this message. Please help me -- what's wrong???!!! Thank you.

2. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Check the stickies at the top of the page and fill in the information needed. That might help folks help you.

3. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Could it be some type of bug infestation? That could cause those symptoms... try and check them well around the base of their feathers, especially the vent area. If not, maybe fowl pox? I'm pretty new to this, but it's what comes to mind. Sorry about your chicken [​IMG]

4. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Could be mites, could be illness from mosquito bites (black spot) or avian pox, could be heat stress, but it would help to have more info.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Could it be fowl pox? The wet version (in the throat and eyes) can cause them to die from not being able to eat and drink. Check inside their mouths for bumps.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Click the search button on the blue bar and try putting "dry pox" and "wet pox" in and see if the symptoms match. I've never dealt with either disease, but I know spots on the face/comb is a symptom of one of those.

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Awww, I'm so sorry. I know that can be discouraging. I lost my entire first flock to a disease and I wasn't well versed in dealing with diseases. I know what you must be going through.

Where do you live? (What are the temps?) Are there any other chickens around you? Have you noticed any other symptoms besides the black spots? Are they losing weight? Eating well? There are a lot of good sites out there that address chicken diseases and problems, but it can be overwhelming. Try to pinpoint when you first noticed, how quickly the onset and what are the specific symptoms and then take a look at the diseases stickies.

Good luck. Don't be too discouraged. I will tell you that after losing my first flock, I did take the plunge again, ordered 25 day olds and they are now just over 6 months old with no problems, so don't let this 'bout of discouragement make you think you can't keep chickens! I'm sure you'll figure it out.

8. cindymolitor

cindymolitor New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now can you tell me how to attach a picture to this post (I'm such a doofus with this stuff!)?

9. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi again [​IMG] I had this problem, too, and finally figured it out! Click on "uploads" up near the top of the screen, choose the file from your computer and submit it. Then, open the screen to post your message and go to "uploads" again. It will open in a new screen and you can copy and paste the link to the image you want from "my uploads" into your message. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by