chicken died overnight infected vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Loakason, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Loakason

Loakason New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    Sandy, Utah
    When I was young we lived on a farm and had chickens but I had little to do with the real raising of them. I fed, held and gathered eggs. So now as a fairly new backyard chicken farmer, I ran into a problem, I think. Overnight my best layer, about 2yr old hen, died. I found her in her nexting box this morning.
    I looked her over and her vent was bloody and looked infected. She seemed fine yesterday. I am concerned it is something I did or did not do and maybe will happen again to the other hens. I only have 6 more. I checked all the books I have and most are pretty general. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I'm sorry you lost your best hen. Have you thought about doing a autopsy on her to help identify the problem? There are lots of folks on this website that can help you ID the issue. I'm sure one will be along shortly to help you with this. Sadly, I'm not one of them. Also books and pictures on the web could help.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She may have prolapsed while laying and the others killed her by picking her to death. Birds can be very nasty to each other when they see blood or sense weakness.

I am sorry for your loss.

4. Loakason

Loakason New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    Sandy, Utah
    Thanks for the replies. I looked her over to see if she had been pecked but didn't see any sign of injury other than the bloody pusy vent.
    I may have missed something. I considered an autopsy but not sure what I would be looking at. Worth a try now that you suggested it. Thanks. This is a very informative, friendly and helpful site!

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I have a book by Gail Damerow "The chicken health handbook" and it has postmortem exam instructions and lists of findings. I don't know that I'd really have the guts to do it though.

6. Loakason

Loakason New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    Sandy, Utah
    I feel the same way but I think I should learn and deal with it. i will order the book if I can find it and maybe next time God Forbid, if I have a death I can't figure out I can do the dirty deed. I just hope it isn't someting my other hens can get.

7. neontiger

neontiger New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    my chickin died samething but i didint c blod or anything if any1 know plz tell me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by