1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken died suddenly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TurnerFlock, May 16, 2016.

1. TurnerFlock

TurnerFlock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    I have a 9 month old Polish that died in the coop last night. Acted fine and normal all day. No sign of trauma but on a chicken that's hard to confirm without plucking it. We are assuming that it was bitten by a snake (we have copperheads around). The chickens dig through brush all day. Is there anything like Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome or is our assumption probably correct.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've had a perfectly healthy young year-old hen die while laying blissfully in the dustbathing area. Could have been a heart attack, stroke, or some other organ failure - that's what I generally conclude when an otherwise healthy chicken dies... The only other possibility that pops into my mind is broken neck, if jumping/flying down from the roost and hitting a wall...

When an animal has to die, that's how I prefer they go, although not knowing the "why" of things can be frustrating.

3. TurnerFlock

TurnerFlock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    She was laying on her back and her neck was bent over pretty far. I thought she may have fallen off the roost at night and broke her neck. I have been reading about Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome as well. I really didn't know that chickens can just die out of no where like that.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If it was on its back and its legs strait out? It was a heart attack!
    My Little hen died this spring of a heart attack after the tarp blew of my run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by