Chicken Died Suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bcmama, Aug 2, 2014.

1. bcmama

bcmama Songster

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Hi,

We had our first dead chicken today and it was a very sudden thing. She layed yesterday so I don't believe her to be eggbound. She was out and about this morning and a little while ago I went out to check on them and I found her dead inside the coop, laying on her side, eyes closed, right by the door that leads to the ladder. There was no blood or cuts, she hadn't been acting strange or sick. This is just very sudden. She was only two years old and one of my best layers. It's actually quite sad.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Sometimes this just happens, and it could be a heart, liver, or kidney problem that has just developed. I think we all have had it happen when we have chickens. A necropsy by the state vet can give you an answer, and many of us will do our own necropsy just to look for some of the more simple things like egg yolk peritonitis, a large worm load, crop or gizzard impaction, and kidney failure which can cause white patches over the organs internally. there are many online sights to study, and posting any necropsy pictues on your thread can sometimes get you information. It is understandable though, if you just choose to bury them when they are pets.

3. bcmama

bcmama Songster

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for replying. She has already been burried so we won't perform a necropsy. It's such a bummer and it just makes you wonder what could have happened so suddenly that you weren't able to help her. If we had noticed her not eating, drinking or acting sick or strange in some way we would have done something, but this was just odd. She was a good bird. We will miss her pretty green eggs.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: