1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken died today was only 27 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by finndunne, Feb 23, 2016.

1. finndunne

finndunne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    Geelong, Australia
    One of my coronation Sussex died today I found it up the back of the yard under some trees it was really struggling, I tried to give it some water but it died within a couple of minutes. It was hot here today about 42 Celsius but none of the others 1 more coronation Sussex and 2 Australorps were affected. There was nothing wrong with the chicken yesterday should I be worried about the other 3? They did have 3 water containers

2. EandMPoultry

EandMPoultry Just Hatched

Feb 23, 2016
    Leander/Cedar Park, TX
    Unfortunately no matter what you try some die. I learned to always keep plenty of water & food available and give them the stuff that goes in their water, it helps boost their immune systems. I nursed one back to health because of the heat but found my favorite rooster dead the next morning. He was just hot & chickens are not bright. They have to be shown water frequently cause they forget to drink. I also give them scraps from leftovers & it has accelerated their growth, immunity and egg production. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. EandMPoultry

EandMPoultry Just Hatched

Feb 23, 2016
    Leander/Cedar Park, TX
    Unfortunately no matter what you try some die. I learned to always keep plenty of water & food available and give them the stuff that goes in their water, it helps boost their immune systems. I nursed one back to health because of the heat but found my favorite rooster dead the next morning. He was just hot & chickens are not bright. They have to be shown water frequently cause they forget to drink. I also give them scraps from leftovers & it has accelerated their growth, immunity and egg production. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    I have had five die and I only have 2 left. Got them in late july. A few of them were fine on day and dead the next. I wouldn't be to worried unless it died from a disease.Then you should clean out your coop and water dishes.

5. finndunne

finndunne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    Geelong, Australia
    It's a real downer I didn't realise they were so sensitive to the heat. Maybe I'll have to have more water buckets scattered around. Does turning the sprinkler on them help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by