Chicken Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wbullock, Oct 4, 2013.

1. wbullock

wbullock New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    We started raising chicken in March and we have just loved it so far but today I went into my coop this afternoon and one of my chickens we laying in the corner breathing heavy. I went in the house to call my wife and within the ten minutes I came back out and it was dead. I am worried that maybe something was wrong that I didnt notice before. When we started getting the colder temps about 3 weeks ago all 10 of my chickens have stopped laying. Is that to early? Or is there something that I should be looking out for?

Thanks for the help.

2. wbullock

wbullock New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    I looked her over and her mouth was full of dirt I am thinking she choked on something maybe I dont know. But wondering have without them laying over the last few weeks is there something I should be doing different.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    When Winter comes and days are shorter, it is normal for egg production to slow or cease for a time. Moulting birds also stop laying. Your bird could have had crop blockage due to problems in the gizzard or farther down. Some birds will gorge themselves on various things that cause blockage. I'm sorry about your hen.

Keep an eye out for any lazy hens, pasty white, yellow, or green diarrhea, pale combs, drinking of excess water, or birds losing weight and not eating. Do yourself and the birds a favor by supplementing their water with Avian Super Pack and Probios dispersible powder in their waterers at least 3 times a week. What do you feed your chickens and how old are they?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. wbullock

wbullock New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. We feed them laying pellets and grain scratch. Just weird that they have stopped all at once this early. We had 10 hens and were getting about 6-8 a day then like I said they just stopped all together and have not had a single egg in about 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by