1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeccaB00, Dec 14, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I know, I should know all this by now. But I was interested in learning more [​IMG]

So our chickens eat scratch for the most part. They are NOT laying hens so do they still need to be eating pellets? we give them basically any left over (SAFE) scraps we have, and they have scratch daily. We also buy grit for them. and I was just making sure that I'm not leaving anything out.
    thanks to all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Mine love warm oatmeal in the am on chilly days. I put raisins and some cut up fruit in it too. They pretty much eat anything that can't run faster than they do.

3. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:Mine do to [​IMG] I always give them worms...we get a kick out of them chasing each other for them.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Laying hens need foods with a certain amount of protein, but they will happily eat lots of other foods as temporary stand ins.

Cooked rice is a favorite of my birds, dried bread crumbs, cooked egg, canned corn, grapes, yogurt, etc....not much they don't eat really.[​IMG] Not good to make this their main food, but for a day or two they will stay full.

5. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:thanks! [​IMG] Since we dont have laying hens do we still need a real strict diet for them? They're on scratch right now..

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine like a variety of stuff. You might try grains like oats and maybe some scrambled eggs and some greens.

If there is a 24hr country WalMart nearby, you could get chicken feed there. Wild bird seed will do in a pinch.

7. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Chicken.Lytle :

Mine like a variety of stuff. You might try grains like oats and maybe some scrambled eggs and some greens.

If there is a 24hr country WalMart nearby, you could get chicken feed there. Wild bird seed will do in a pinch.

Oh no, we're not out of food...I was wondering if I need to feed anything else [​IMG] sorry maybe I should fix that... they eat scratch for the most part, but since they are not laying hens, do they still need the pellets?​

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine lose their minds over BOSS .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by