1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken dinners

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rebeccahorse, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    What do your chickens eat besides the crumbles or other chicken feed. Mine love cucumbers, and other veggies. I even put a weed in and they ate it. They will be three months on August 2 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    mine eat watermelon, grapes, cooked cabbage, granny smith apples, biscuits, the but end of the bread.
    the funniest is to throw grapes out and see the chickens run for them!

you didn't say how old yours are. mine are over 5 months old now [​IMG]

3. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I give them the wrinkly blueberries from the bottom of the box. They love them! However, it turns their poop blue. :eek:

Also, a mash made of oats and yogurt. Mine are just six weeks and get to free range, under strict supervision, for an hour or two a day.

4. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    cucumbers, tomatoes, watermellon, bread, grasshoppers

5. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Meal worms, spagetti, scrambled eggs, St Augustine grass

They eat anything I offer them.

DeeDee:)

6. Chill_Billy

Chill_Billy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    I have seen "chicken riots" over strawberries and boiled chopped egg, grapes, and bread.

Does anyone feed them wild bird seed?
    I have never tried scratch yet and figured seed would be same.

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine eat most of the wild bird seed that falls out of the feeders.......at least I dont have fresh greens growing now in my grass....they love it.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They'll eat almost anything.
    Mine, especially Obelisk, will have whatever I'm having.
    When I first got Penny, she wasn't a big treat eater. She wouldn't even eat a McD's fry!
    Now, if I sit down with food, I have to make sure that she's not gotten onto the chair first. LOL
    ETA:
    I give a suet cake during the winter and cracked corn.
    Slifer used to peck open the bags of wildbird seed and go to town.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We save the large zucchini from the garden and then cut lengthwise. Once we set them down you can figure they will disappear quickly. The watermellon rind is also a favorite, leaving only a thin outside skin when they are done.

bigzio

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mine get leftover corn cobs, both from dinner or from freezing creamed corn. They pick those things clean! They also like fruit peelings, leftover pasta (fu to watch them slurp noodles) and rice, and any kind of stale bread goody. Mine also get the remainder of pancake batter, fried into chick-cakes. Mine get the center of zuchini that's gotten too big.

I've also given them the flowering tops of carrot plants, and anything I pull out of my garden beds goes in the chicken tractor to see if the girls want to peck at it.

I threw a June bug in there the other day and they fought over it! Too funny. Going to collect some more to watch the chasing again.

Mine free range around an hour each evening under strict supervision. Have seen them catch and eat a big wasp...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by