Chicken Dipers?

I made one today. It fits on my Egger fine, but she is just NOT having it! How on EARTH do you train them to accept it??!!
kind of late reply, but in case you still wondered.
For my duck, I started with just a harness the first day, then distracted her while I put it on. She picked at it constantly the whole first day, then a little less each day after. She's had it on for a week now and adjusting fine. Even kinda sits still while I put it on.

Unfortunately, she had to go outside. The hubs couldn’t handle it. I currently have a blue rosecomb and 2 Serama cockerels in the house. The Seramas are still growing, so I haven’t made them diapers as yet. The rosecomb, Chester, does have one and doesn’t put up a fight at all.

I made one today. It fits on my Egger fine, but she is just NOT having it! How on EARTH do you train them to accept it??!!
You put it on and don't take it off when they pout or pick at it. Reward them w treats and whatever kind of other rewards they get right after you put it on. (and even while you're putting it on if you can get a helper. It gets easier when you find a method you can stick with constantly. You have to be consistent. Fo instance, Dandy gets her diaper within minutes of getting out of her kennel every morning, and comes out when she goes to bed (which is when I feed her at night) She knows it's going to happen. She still picks at it when I first put it on but she gets over it after she sees that pouting and picking aren't getting her anywhere. She loves my necklaces, so I let her play with them while I put the strap part on, and her head in my armpit area for the diaper part, then she gets cheese shreds (SHE LOVES CHEESE) as soon as we are finished and before she has a chance to pick at it. That way I'm rewarding her stillness and cooperation not her picking at it. When I see her picking at it, I tell her to stop it ( one of the 2 verbal commands she knows) and distract her with a toy.

Unfortunately, she had to go outside. The hubs couldn’t handle it. I currently have a blue rosecomb and 2 Serama cockerels in the house. The Seramas are still growing, so I haven’t made them diapers as yet. The rosecomb, Chester, does have one and doesn’t put up a fight at all.
I would put something on them even growing. Even if it's just a sock that's cut or something to get them used to the presence. You can fine tune and go for productive outcome once they are grown, but the longer you wait to start it the longer they take to get used to the idea.

Back
Top Bottom