1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken dipping day!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lovemelovemybirds, Sep 27, 2010.

1. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    used Permectrin....2 oz in 20 gals of water....dipped all the girls and my Roo too. Between the molting and potential bugs? there were alot of feathers, needless to say!!! I dip twice a year...Spring and Fall...hopefully all feathers will come in full and fresh!! Some of the girls look pretty rough!! LOL!!

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

DH clicked this post because he thought you meant ... in a batter or sauce,... he was ready to write down a new recipe!

I love him,..
    He keeps me laughing,..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    [​IMG]

4. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Well, you certainly got me to look! Of course, I'm the mean Chicken Mom that MAKES her chickens take dust baths.

Sand (the sandbox cleaned kind) and DE are the main ingredients. I've been adding "land plaster" (calcium) to keep down the dustiness of the DE. The kids catch the birds and I rub them in it. The leftovers are sprinkled inside the hen house and nest boxes and the last bit is tossed into the dustbathing PIT my little monsters have dug. Walking around my chicken run in the dark is hazardous to my ankles and my spine. I think they move the pit three inches everyday.

Mine are all moulting also. The 14 to 16 month old crowd is doing their first official moult and the June Babies are losing the last baby feathers and getting their "true" adult plummage. Feathers are four inches deep the whole way around my run. Visitors want to know who killed what, lol.

Permectrin. Got it. We dip soon ("evil laughter"). Thanks for the laughs and take care.

5. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    [​IMG] The girls get soo mad too...we either scoop them up with a fish net or try to hand catch...it's gotta be quite a sight if one were watching... DH catches birds... If they're in the net I get them out and dip...if he hand wrangles one he dips. Its a both hands- thumbs on birds back- over the wings- ring finger/pinky of each hand holds up the legs- kinda hold........then it's butt first in the ole dip bucket!! The young ones scream and struggle....the old ones are very use to this day!! and yes..the feathers are everywhere!!! Then when ya turn them loose it is all kinds of reaction. Some sit there and wonder what just happened it seems..others high tail it as fast as possible and disappear for the rest of the day!!![​IMG] It took us right at an hour to catch-dip-release 35 birds...

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Next dipping day, you must video. You simply must. [​IMG]

Imp

7. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    Ya know? At one point I was laughing so hard at the DH trying to hand secure this one bird..I did think I must share this experiance for sure with you guys. LOL!! I must add however...the bedding gets changed out too...and then I used the dust in the roosts and all over the coop......I alternate dust and spray in the coop....if I don't spray, then I dust..and vice versa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by