Chicken disappears

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ashley6391, Oct 5, 2015.

1. ashley6391

ashley6391 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    I have been letting my chickens free range with there rooster for about 3 months now and have had no problems. I know free ranging is risky but they love it! We live on 5 acres and they have lots of trees and other things to hide under, they are about 7 mo old and full grown. Today I was sitting inside and heard a different noise out of a hen and then I heard our rooster so I ran outside and they were all just standing around.. I didn't even think to count them.. Now this evening I go out and one of our RIR girls is gone :( there are no feathers anywhere, no signs of anything and she was full grown! Could a hawk pick her up and take her away? It also could of been another predator I just feel like if it was a fox or something I would of seen feathers or the other girls would of got scared when it happened..

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I can't imagine a hawk flying away with a full grown chicken, but what do I know?
    But I don't think most predators stop short and pluck their prey before taking it back to their dens.

At least the coyotes that got our 5 cats didn't leave any fur laying closely by.

3. ashley6391

ashley6391 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Yeah I'm not sure either! I just figured I would of seen blood or some feathers from her struggling or something! I searched our whole property with my 2 bird dogs who hunt and they didn't catch any scents of anything.. Crazy to just think she disappeared!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by