Chicken disease

Chickslady

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Hi, I’m trying to help my hen. She can barely wal but is eating , drinking and laying eggs. She tries to walk and just flops around. She seemed totally fun yesterday! Shes 1 year old otherwise healthy and lays eggs regularly. Even today she still managed to lay an egg!
Any information appreciated. I have given her apple cider vinegar in her water and brought her inside for awhile. Just don’t know what she had or how to treat it.
Thanks for any help!

Can you describe what she looks like when walking? are her legs odd? Is she fat? How are her eyes? Is her head held at a odd angle?
Give her clean water and don't give her anymore vinegar.
She appears perfectly normal except for the fact that she can barely walk. Eyes are clear and responsive. She’s eating and drinking just fine. She seemed very thirsty. I gave the vinegar thinking it would give her a little natural antibiotic. I hope I didn’t make her sicker by doing that!

She appears perfectly normal except for the fact that she can barely walk. Eyes are clear and responsive. She’s eating and drinking just fine. She seemed very thirsty. I gave the vinegar thinking it would give her a little natural antibiotic. I hope I didn’t make her sicker by doing that!
Don't worry, the vinegar won't hurt her but it's not an antibiotic. It's a probiotic that help with digestion if you have the stuff with mother. Most chickens don't care for it so they dont drink and get dehydrated. The thirst could mean an inflammation somewhere, can you feel any swellings or tightness on her? Have you feel her leg and feet for bumble foot or if it's out of joint? She sounds like she's not in any pain so maybe it will go away with rest. But hopefully someone else will chime in.

Videos can be helpful of the hen walking. They must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. If pictures are possible post one of her how she looks most of the time. Is she limping, having trouble putting weight down on a foot, or holding a leg up? Is her tail position up or down? What do her poops look like? Is she eating or drinking? Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Recheck it again in early morning before she eats or drinks. Can you look at her lower belly between her legs and see if it looks and feels enlarged or fuller than others?

Don't worry, the vinegar won't hurt her but it's not an antibiotic. It's a probiotic that help with digestion if you have the stuff with mother. Most chickens don't care for it so they dont drink and get dehydrated. The thirst could mean an inflammation somewhere, can you feel any swellings or tightness on her? Have you feel her leg and feet for bumble foot or if it's out of joint? She sounds like she's not in any pain so maybe it will go away with rest. But hopefully someone else will chime in.
I thought I read apple cider vinegar had some antibacterial properties but maybe just in humans. I was kinda reading everything and trying anything. Funny she seems to love the flavor. Someone else thought it was too acidic and said I shouldn’t give it to her . When I gave her plain water again she didn’t want it anymore. I put it back in but very little this time and she drank again so I’m going with it because I want her to stay hydrated. I also have given her b-complex and vitamin d3 which another person recommended. Today she is actually a little better. She stood up a few times but still is not walking much. She is still alert , eating and drinking we’ll and loving the attention.. this is so strange! Thank you for your advice I’m learning a lot from everyone and trying all of the treatment options and hoping one works!

Back
Top Bottom