GmaPiggly

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
Recently, I came home to a 69 year old husband who was running a fever, diarrhea, disoriented, and in critically severe health! He didn't know his name, date of birth, nothing! I rushed him into our local ER there to have every test imaginable ran. After a life-threatening 3 days the test finally came back as Campylobacter jejuni, A bacterium that typically infects the bowels. Now the leading cause of bacterial food poisoning, Campylobacter jejuni is most often spread by contact with raw or under-cooked poultry. A single drop of juice from a contaminated chicken is enough to make someone sick. Symptoms tend to start 2 to 5 days after exposure and typically last a week. They resemble the symptoms of viral gastroenteritis'diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, cramping, nausea, and vomiting'but with campylobacter, fever is typical and the diarrhea is often bloody. Antibiotics can be helpful treatment. Most people recover completely. However, some suffer long-term consequences, such as arthritis or Guillain-Barr' syndrome. Both are thought to occur when a person's immune system is activated by the Campylobacter jejuni and misdirected to attack the person's own body. (http://www.medicinenet.com )

There are four, count them 4 diseases (and maybe a few others) YOU and your FAMILY can get from your chickens. They are;

Salmonella,
Urinary Tract Infection,
Histoplasma capsulatum,
Campylobacter jejuni

I suggest that all of us read this article from "Survival Life" website:

https://survivallife.com/4-human-diseases-caused-by-chickens/

Our eight gorgeous girls are wonderful! We love them dearly, they are completely free range in our back yard... but this is our first year at it. After reading all I could on the subject here are some of the daily needs for you and your families.

1. WASH WASH WASH your hands, arms, shoes, etc. If you handle the eggs, chickens, dig in the dirt etc., WASH!!
2. WASH WASH WASH your eggs, hands, arms, shoes, etc. I can't reiterate this enough. It can be life-threatening to your family and yourself.
3. If you have other pets, as we do...a new puppy, wipe their paws when they come into the house. If you get scratched from them, or bitten in play, go WASH the wound, use Peroxide and Wash again!

It was hard to talk to the US Infectious Disease Center requesting information on where/we had eaten for the last week, about our home, pets, etc. We came to the conclusion that my husband nearly died from a scratch from the new puppy who had walked in the grass.

Please, take precautions for the humans in your life.

I am sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he is feeling better now.

I suggest people cook their chicken before eating it and wash their hands after playing in chicken poo.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Welcome to the site..
welcome-by-Farmer-Connie-v3.0.gif

:welcome

Best wishes to your husband for a full recovery. I'm a firm believer in everyone washing their hands before and after just about any activity. There are a ton of things humans can pick up from routine activities and the best defense is hand washing.

Back
Top Bottom