Chicken DIY Guide or How to Build legit?

Welcome to the forum!

I looked at both of these links, and I think both of these are just marketing outfits trying to cash in on the current poultry craze. Save your money. I doubt if you will get information worth $3.90 from either of them.

Travis Sago, the guy behind the second website, is just an internet marketing artist:

http://dayjobnuker.com/2009/04/06/who-is-tw-t-dub-jackson/

I expect he knows about as much about chickens as he does about relationships or any of his other marketing schemes.

I took a quick look at some of the coops shown on the first site and thought they were awful, nonfunctional designs. '

Look at the coops on this site for free. Read the posts in the forum discussing the pros and cons of the various designs. Think about your climate and what kind of coop would work best for that climate. It makes a big difference! Ask questions here and you'll get feedback particular to your situation. And it's all free.

Once you've settled on your design, then you can begin to figure out how to build it or get it built.

In case you haven't spotted it yet, here's the link to this site's coop page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

Last edited:
Thank you for the warning! I have been browsing the pictures and ideas on the coop designs of BackYardChicken. I really want a step by step (nail this to that) and shopping list for making a coop for about eight chickens. I only have two now, a Chick-n-Hutch that they are sleeping in, and a run (5'high and 8'X8' wood frame w/ chicken wire) that sits on top of the hutch. I want to build something bigger that will not only house more chickens but will be easier for me to clean.

welcome-byc.gif

There are some beautiful coops on this site--have fun checking them out. And when you need a break, check out the UGLY COOPS thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=394207

The ugly coop section makes me feel much much better. My husband made the 5'X8'X8' in just a few hours. He went back later and added metal corners and metal braces after the wood started pulling away from each other. He said (I was talking about building a coop with him while searching and searching) that he can build one and knows where to put it. I just know the poor guy teaches history and has a book chapter due and is very busy. I was looking for an easy something or another that I could put together without bothering him. I love that people put their coops together almost free.

Picture of the purchased coop w/ the "run" my husband built.
75510_australorps_protected.jpg

The BYC store has Building Chickden coops for dummies (or whatever the name is, the dummies book) which I understand is pretty good.

rudimyers, that doesn't qualify as an ugly coop, IMHO, but it certainly qualifies as functional!
If you are looking for something you can do yourself, there are also numerous threads in here by females who have successfully undertaken the task & done a wonderful job. Don't remember the threads for those, but shouldn't be too hard to find. A LOT of creative peeps on here!

Thank you for the links Chicken Lytle.

I did some rough measuring of the Chick-N-Hutch. It was advertising for holding three birds. There is an egg door in the back. I am down to two birds and don't see how three birds plus a nesting container/box would all fit in there. The chickens wouldn't be cooped up except for the night - but still.

Anyway, I am guessing that at a MINIMUM, the whole thing needs to be doubled for six birds. The house is about 3'7" from left to right (long) ; 2'4" from front to back (wide); 2' tall sitting on top of 1' tall legs. So, 7'2" long, 4'8" wide, 4' tall for coop (still on 1' tall legs). Would rounding the whole building up to 8' long, 5' wide (still keeping it 4' tall) work? What am I missing in starting off with my math?

Back
Top Bottom