Chicken Does not Seem to know what egg is

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheCuteBirds, Oct 3, 2012.

1. TheCuteBirds

TheCuteBirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Surabaya
    My chicken does not know what an egg is and will peck it and then ignore it. She also breaks eggs. And, a little help because she hasn't laid an egg for like 3 months.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Are you wanting her to brood the eggs for you? Usually once a hen has laid her egg she will immediately lose interest, and go out to get something to eat and drink. Once she goes broody, that is the only time she will be interested in sitting in the nest and collecting a clutch of eggs.

When you say she is breaking them, what kind of material do you have in the nest box? Is it possible the egg is breaking when it is laid because it is landing on a hard surface? The other possibility is that the shells are weak. What kind of feed is she eating and does she have a source of supplemental calcium?

There are many reasons a hen will stop laying, including molting, age, illness, parasites or poor nutrition. Without more information about her, it would be difficult to guess why she hasn't laid for the last 3 months.

3. TheCuteBirds

TheCuteBirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Surabaya
    Well no, I've seen her peck the eggs

4. dazani

dazani New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    I'm having the same problem.. from more then 4 month my hen stopped laying egg.. nutrition and health is A1 age is 11 month old.. she is active.. i dont knw why she stoped laying after she layed 8-10 eggs and she got broody .. plzz help me... :)

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    To TheCuteBirds: Many hens will peck a freshly laid egg. The problem is when they start to break them and eat them. There also maybe something else eating the eggs. Don't know how old she is so she could be going throuh molt.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  6. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    To dasnzi: Welcome to BYC When they go broody they stop laying. When she gets over being broody she will lay again.

7. dazani

dazani New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    thnx for ur kind replay.. i knw after brooding thy stop laying but its all most 4 month now!!

8. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Has she been broody the whole time?

9. dazani

dazani New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    i think for one month and after that she is not laying...

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Certain breeds of chickens don't lay eggs all year long. When the daylight is shortened they will shut down egg production.

Chickens who peck eggs end up eating them and you'll never know the eggs were there. Some times but not always you'll see dried yolk on the guilty chicken. I suggest a 'roll-away nest box' that will allow the egg to roll out of reach of an egg-eating hen. Some people cull egg-eating hens because when the other chickens see what is happening you will have an entire flock of egg-eating chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by