Chicken doesn't like....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DarleneE, Jul 26, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Songster

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Does anyone have a chicken who protests to being held the usual way we hold them, tucked under your arm at your side with your arm OVER her wing?? My Barred Rock hates being held this way?? She'll fuss and fight and wriggle about until she gets her wings free!! She doesn't mind if you hold her like you would a parrot, with her feet just resting on your arm. This drives me crazy cause she can easily jump off when I'm transferring her from the coop in our closed in lanai, to the far corner of the backyard which is past the pool and around the decking AND the wooden deck as well, to their enclosed pen... MUCH too far a walk for her to do without getting distracted and darting off to the rest of the yard, a NO NO as there's lots of landscaping, plants, shrubs etc., some of which could possibly be harmful or even poisonous to chickens!! I've tried letting her try to walk and find the way, even with me tempting her with food... doesn't work!! Any idea how to get her to accept being carried the traditional chicken way?? Lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some chickens simply hate being handled - they are still a prey species.

3. DarleneE

DarleneE Songster

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Well luckily, thank heavens that's not the case with her. She'll let you hold her and will sit with me on the chair etc etc... just does NOT like being held to my side?? I guess she feels TOO restricted, too trapped so to speak?? Looks like she's gonna end up having it HER way though.. lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you keep letting her 'have her way', she'll just keep fighting you.
    Carry her the way you want to carry her, be calm and consistent about it, and eventually she'll probably get used to it.
    Be the alpha chicken!

5. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chirping

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    My RIR hate being handled at all, even at dusk they throw a caniption fit

6. DarleneE

DarleneE Songster

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    aart... Thank you!!!! You know I think you're right!! I WILL be the alpha chicken!! Great point!! I'll just keep carrying her that way and hope she gets used to it!! Hopefully she'll stop fighting me. It's funny cause somedays she'll barely fight at all and others it like she goes nuts trying to get loose!! I will take your advice though!! Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: