Chicken Door Height?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dad40013, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dad40013

dad40013 New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Our first 4 chicks are almost 6 weeks old and the coop is almost finished.
    I haven't made the chicken door yet... does anyone have a suggestion on how high to make the door off the ground?
    If it is higher up is it safer for our chickens?
    At what height should I include a ramp?
    We live in KY so it is not super hot in the summer and not super cold in the winter.
    From what I've read 10-12" X 10-12" seems to be about the right size.

Thank you in advance for your help with these beginner questions.

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to make your chicken door at least 6-8 inches higher than your coop floor. This will help hold in the shavings when the chickens exit the coop. A ramp would be needed for anything higher than 12 inches, in my opinion. I have our coop elevated about 1 foot off the ground, and we use a ramp for our birds. It'll come in handy when you're teaching your young birds to enter the coop at night.

3. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Most of your chicken pop doors are cut 9 inches wide and 12 inches tall. Even though our winters aren't real cold you really don't want any bigger hole than you have to have.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think a 10 x 12 sounds good for standard size chickens. From INSIDE, I would build it about 6 inches up from the floor, so that bedding doesn't get kicked out. If you're using deep litter method, more than that. I agree with the poster who mentioned that, from the outside, if the pop door ends up being more than a foot off the ground, I'd include a ramp.

5. dad40013

dad40013 New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Thank You for the advice. We have a concrete floor just above grade, so I'll probably put the "pop" door in about 9 inches up from the concrete.
    This web-site is great! I'd be lost without it.
    Thank You again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by