Chicken door inside people door?

Wyandottes13

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2015
I was wondering if anyone has tried this. Just have a chicken door inside the bottom of the "people" door. It just seems easier, especially when trying to corner chickens instead of coming inside the people door, only to have them run outside the chicken door on the other side of the coop, and then going around the coop, chasing them back inside , rinse and repeat until utter frustration occurs.

Lots of folks use this design - it is most useful if you either don't have a run and only free range or you enter the run to get to the coop -- the latter is often the reason to have them in opposite ends as many folks like the people door at one end and the run going off the opposite end of the coop so they aren't having to traipse through the run to get into the coop. Another easy fix is to rig a sliding door on the chicken door with a wire or rope running along to near the people door -- simply approach the coop, unhook and let shut the chicken door then enter the coop with the birds secured inside. Being able to open and close the chicken door from outside can be very useful.

Lots of folks use this design - it is most useful if you either don't have a run and only free range or you enter the run to get to the coop -- the latter is often the reason to have them in opposite ends as many folks like the people door at one end and the run going off the opposite end of the coop so they aren't having to traipse through the run to get into the coop. Another easy fix is to rig a sliding door on the chicken door with a wire or rope running along to near the people door -- simply approach the coop, unhook and let shut the chicken door then enter the coop with the birds secured inside. Being able to open and close the chicken door from outside can be very useful.
Ah ok I wasn't planning on building a run for my new coop, so I guess I'll use the small-door-inside-a-big-door design then. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has tried this. Just have a chicken door inside the bottom of the "people" door. It just seems easier, especially when trying to corner chickens instead of coming inside the people door, only to have them run outside the chicken door on the other side of the coop, and then going around the coop, chasing them back inside , rinse and repeat until utter frustration occurs.
Why would you be 'trying to corner chickens'?

What is this? Had an existing chicken coop built in my garage and there's 3 of these things. Anyone know what they're used for?

What is this? Had an existing chicken coop built in my garage and there's 3 of these things. Anyone know what they're used for?
Welcome to BYC @Brownsfan77 .
Looks like a chicken door.
Got a pic of it in place?
It's really best to start a new thread.

So sorry, I thought I did start a new thread. They were all just laying to the side. First I thought they were for the eggs to drop through but they don't seem to open easily.

So sorry, I thought I did start a new thread. They were all just laying to the side. First I thought they were for the eggs to drop through but they don't seem to open easily.

It can be confusing at first as the "post reply" button and "start new thread" button are so close to each other.
When you do start the new thread maybe you can post some other photos? Also, it sounds like you are saying they weren't set up or attached in any way within the coop - is that true? Possible they weren't even chicken related by more just being stored in there.

Back
Top Bottom