Chicken door latch advice...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jed1154, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    So, i have a regular hook that secures the chicken door open and closed. It is the kind that has a little spring...its called a security latch. Anyway, its a real pain to work. So, what kinds of latches are you guys using? I need something that will be racoon proof and at the same time keep the door closed as tightly as possible. Any ideas?

2. Franecca

Franecca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    We use barrell bolts. It keeps the door closed securely, yet is easy for us to open.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I use a hasp and caribener to lock the door. Here's a pic of the ones I use for the roof, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I use a swivel hasp, with a carabiner through the swivel. Since the doors to my coop are about 5' tall, I also use a barrel bolt at the top and bottom of the doors. For the pop door, I use just the swivel hasp, again with a carabiner. Very easy to open/close with one hand, yet it seems quite secure.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use one of those drop down gate latches with the pad lock hole in the bottom. I then put a pad lock in the hole to deter both two and four legged preds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by