Chicken Door on Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ryanroth, May 10, 2011.

1. ryanroth

ryanroth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Hello All--I am building a new coop and want to put a coop door that will work for chickens, few ducks, and the guineas. Is there an appropriate size? Will the ducks use it? I am building a run off of the side of the coop and just want a small door on the coop side. My walk through door is on another side. Thanks for any insight. Ryan

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:You can look at my BYC page for pics of how I did my pop door. I hinged it on the bottom and stapled a piece of inner tube rubber over the hinge area so chicken poo will not jam the joint. be sure to have a metal leg and rock for the top of the door to set on when its in the down position so as to prevent the wood from rotting if its in contact with the dirt.

3. ryanroth

ryanroth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    What kind of dimensions do you have for the door? I want to make sure the ducks can go through it without problems.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I think it was about 12" wide by 14/16" tall. I've had the large meat chickens and Jersey Giants use it with no problems. My Coop was built with mostly scrap/salvaged materials, so some of the dimensions were by "wing it".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by