Chicken door plastic covers?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amethyste, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Anyone have a link to where I could get some of that heavy plastic vinyl stuff like they use for walk-in freezers? I wanted to get a few bits to put on my chicken door to act like a bit of a weather-repellent. I saw a few people here had the plastic sheets....I called Lowes and they didnt carry them, and neither did Ace or Home Depot.

Any ideas please?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Lowes has the plastic/vinyl carpet protector material. Like for your walkways or heavy traffic areas...I bet that would work just fine!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I use translucent plastic shelf liner from Walmart or equivalent type stores. It comes in a 4' x 18" roll for like $5, it's fairly heavyweight stuff, ribbed. It tends to curl (from being on the roll) unless you leave it unrolled and weighted for a few days; but other than that, it works real well and is comparable in weight to the stuff you are talking about.

The exact stuff you are talking about can be bought from ag supply places like www.farmtek.com but in quantities far too vast for a backyard coop [​IMG] I assume it can also be got from restaurant supply places but probably same problem. The shelf liner works good. Some people use strips of burlap feedbags, too, either plain or with weights sewn to the bottom so it flaps less.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Try Micheals, ben Franklins or Joann Fabric, they sell it by the yard!

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    You could find a heavier weight placemat and use that. Cheap, especially if you can find it second hand.

6. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    At walmart in the dog section where the dog houses are, they sell a doggy door for the entrance to a dog house. That's what i'm using. I just cut it to fit the door to the coop and then cut virtical strips to help them push through it. It also helped when I was "training" them to go through it. I just tacked up a few of the strips so they could see inside and go through then eventually let the other strips down.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Lovely!!!

Thanks for all the help [​IMG] I am off to go shopping then this weekend!

I was planning to do the vertical strip idea, do a little at a time so the chickens wouldnt be so...well...chicken [​IMG] You al know how they get over new things like that [​IMG] It just sounded like a great idea and wanted to implement it before the truly bad weather kicks in.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    if you call your local grocery store, the meat dept might have some extra pieces from there cooler.

9. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    jo-ann fabrics has various mils of clear plactic. I bought a yard of 15 mil and will be hanging it this weekend. This gauge is stiff, but not too stiff that they can't or won't walk through it. It was around 7.00 a yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by