Chicken door size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wormy270, Aug 15, 2010.

1. wormy270

wormy270 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    I want to add a small door on my run only for the chickens to use. I want to make it small as possible to discourage predators. How small can I make it and the chickens still be able to get in and out ok? Im thinking maybe 9"x12". I have standard chickens. RI reds and Buff Orpingtons.

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    9 by 12 is probably a good size you might be able to go a slight bit smaller... hope everthing works for you

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Hi! I have RIR's and BO's, too. Do you have a roo? I have one RIR roo and he is much bigger than the girls and will keep growing for a while. He is only 16 weeks and he is getting tall but he will fill out a lot more also as he matures.

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ok, I'm dyslexic and when I read this title I would have bet anything that it read, "Chicken Door PRIZE" [​IMG]-- so, of course I just had to know what it meant. [​IMG] OH -- Chicken Door SIZE!!! Never mind. [​IMG] Happens all the time.

As for my opinion on the door size -- I don't think size will go very far to discourage predators. Possums, cats, coyotes and raccoons can get through anything the size of a tin can if what is on the other side is something they want very much. Bears and raging bison will just take the place apart. Make the chicken door a good size for your chickens to come and go. Mine's 12" x16" or there abouts. Make the run, if you have one. secure. Hardware cloth, buried, electric fence. Ft. Knox.

And the next time you need a door prize for your Chickens -- Let Them Eat Cake.

Jenny

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. wormy270

wormy270 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Quote:Dont really have a problem with smaller predators in my area, just usually Coyotes and large dogs. Thats why I wanted to make it as small as possible. I dont have a Roo, so I was thinking maybe even as small as 9"x10".

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Maybe not yet...............I've found that everything in the world wants to eat my Chickens and there are predators you've never seen or heard of until you get chickens. Make the door sized for the chickens and close it up every night.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I made mine 15"x16". I have LF and will be getting RIRs in the spring. The rocks fill the door and we have coyotes to weasels. A drop down door with a slide bolt inside shuts it up tight.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Mine is 12 x 14. I have 2 slide locks on it PLUS in's insude the run which will be secured on all 4 sides..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by