Chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BigBen, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I am in the final stages of building my coop and need to cut out a door for the girls to get to there run.
    The run is sided with 1x10's.
    Is 10 inches wide enough for them to come and go and also, how tall should I make it.
    I am going to make it like a gilotene on a cable so I can open it up from outside.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I will make the door at least 2'x2' because some times they like to run in and out real quick and 10" will fit a chicken ofcourse, but they will like it better if it is bogger.

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I made mine 16 inches tall and 16 inches wide. Gotta remember the bigger the door the more wind and drafts can come in during the winter,,making it colder.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    1 x 10 will work fine, that is what I have, and everthing will fit through it. They may not fit through 2 at a time(though they will try). They are chickens where are they rushing off to?

Edited to add: 12inches is tall enough.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My coop door is 12 inches high and 9 inches wide. My 65 lb Aussie fits in and out so it should be big enough for a chicken [​IMG]

6. cockadoo

cockadoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    central miss.
    well i can tell you ours is 9 1/2 X 10 1/2 and my goats are always going in the hen house

7. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I'm starting to get excited! I have finally found time to work on the coop. I think I will do the door 10" wide and 12" high.
    Today I will do the door and mount the nesting box.
    I am waiting on my electrician to wire an outlet for the water heater and to install all the lights inside and out. Then i can put up the inside walls.
    I am hoping to bury all the fencing today or tomorrow so I can back fill the area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by