1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by motherhen, Apr 19, 2007.

1. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    I need to know if its okay to make a chicken door a little smaller then larger, like 8" x 10". I am planning to get dual purpose chickens for both egg and meat.
    Its taking so long for me to build the coop. I just can't wait till I am done.

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    i have found that with my peeps over the years they can get through about any opening when determined. however, my peep door is located at the bottom, middle of the door, 7"x10". they just have to learn to take turns going in and out when they are full grown.but on warm sunny days i open it (main door)wide so the sun can hit on the inside of the house. they like that. might i add my peep door is not per say like a doggie door with a flap, it is just a opening cut out in the main door.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    8 X 10 seems a little small for dual purpose birds. They are pretty big. Standard is 12 X 12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by