1. BuffsareBad

BuffsareBad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I will be putting the sides on my new coop tomorrow. It just dawned on me that I really dont know how big I should cut the door for them to get in an out. Any standard size?

Thanks in advance!

2. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say it depends on which breed you have. I think mine is 12" wide x 14" high. just made it plenty wide for them to get out,
    and high enough so they don't have to "duck" coming in and out.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think mine is about the size of surfchickens in my main coop. I went with 9 x 12 in my bantam coop. There's a lot of flexibility in the size...

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If your gonna have a roo make it tall.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yes, good point. I think mine is 12W x 18 H or so. I've had a couple of big fellows that didn't have much clearance. They make use of the width, too, and go out 2 or 3 at a time when excited to get out. I don't see any advantage to keeping it at a minimum.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I make mine wider than taller. Mine duck to go in and out if they are tall but it is hard for a JG to get herself through a 12" wide door. They don't mind watching their heads but getting those wings scraped pisses them off.
    Most all my pop doors are 18 high and 18 wide.

7. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    I thought it should be 12x15 for standards? Sure that's just one of those "general rules"!?!?

8. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    Come to a consensus! Quick! Hubby is cutting doors and windows right now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by