1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Dopiness/Unawareness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by susannahwoodd, Feb 16, 2013.

1. susannahwoodd

susannahwoodd New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Scotland
    I have got an Araucana girl who is about seven months old and she seems to be completely unaware of everything. I think she might be blind but this unawareness has only occurred within the last 3 weeks. She seems happy and is laying eggs but stays away from everyone else. She can be picked up very easily but never used to be very tame, and I am a bit worried. Can anyone help??? Thanks

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    If she just started laying eggs, this is common. A pullet usually calms down once she starts laying and isn't so feisty. Instead, they get tamer. More docile.

3. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    are you sure she sees well. I had a hen suddenly go blind, the vet felt she had Merke's disease, no testing was done. You can try giving her and all your hens some extra vitamins in the water. They can get neurological problems, like seeing problems , walking issues from lack of vitamin B12. Some feed stores carry neutri thurst, something like that, that is an electrolyte solution that you put in the water, may help

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Chickenfan4life has some great information here...

If she were blind you would know immediately as she would be stumbling around and would have great difficulty in finding food and water.. I have had chickens that became blind and it is very obvious at an early stage - hopefully your chicken is becoming adult ... it is such a pleasure when one of them becomes more receptive to us as their friend and they become attached to us... enjoy the experience!

I can only hope and pray for you that she is not ill.... none of what you have said in your post indicates that she is ill.

Suzie

5. susannahwoodd

susannahwoodd New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Scotland
    she died ):

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm sooo sorry for your loss! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by