Chicken Down!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AQHAchick22, Oct 30, 2014.

1. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Sooo 2 nights ago I was closing the chickens up and noticed my white leghorn hen laying in the bedding and not up on the roost, I didn't think much of it since it's happened before so I closed up the coop and left her. So yesterday morning I opened up the coop, she ran out with everyone else.

Last night I got home from work, went to lock everyone up and noticed her laying under the ramp to get into the coop, she was alert, looking around and with it. However when I reached under to pick her up she didn't fight and let me pick her up easily. She was shaking, I looked her over and didn't see any visible injuries. I set her down on the ground and she stood for a minute but her tail was drooped down (actually pointing down instead of the leghorn high up stance). Then she laid down again.

I moved her into a dog crate in my basement for the night and this morning I gave her an egg mash with some yogurt and vitamins along with some water. This morning she wouldn't stand at all (I'm thinking leg problem).

I also just called home and was told she hasn't touched her food or water and there are no poops in the crate.

I'm not home to check on her myself but I figured I would post and hopefully get a plan of action before I get home and it gets dark, or so I can stop at TSC on my way home.

She's 2 years old and just laid an egg 10/28. The rest of my 28 hens are perfectly fine.

I'm thinking it's a leg injury? Perhaps my Buff Orp roo was a little too rough? It doesn't explain the not eating and drinking part though.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

What's her poop look like? I'm thinking some sort of illness... coccidiosis, or something maybe.

3. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    That's part of the problem, she hasn't pooped since she's been in the crate (8pm yesterday) so I have no idea...

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She is probably dehydrated. If she hasn't pooped she is not eating either.

She needs to be tube fed. Soon! You could try pm' ing casportpony. She will help you.

5. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Ugh great, that was my gut feeling.
    Thanks, I will msg her!

6. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    I'm going to try tube feeding her tonight. She doesn't look any better however she did poop and it looks normal.
    Though when I locked up the chickens tonight I noticed my 2 yr old red comet is looking under the weather. Puffed up with her eyes closed...ughhhh it's so frustrating not knowing. These two were treated for coccidiosis when they were about 2 months old. Can it reappear?

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

yeah they can get it again it could be a different strain of Protozoa...

8. AQHAchick22

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Greatttt thanks. I'll bring her in tonight as well.

Good news on the leghorn though, it's like she knew I was about to tube feed her and she perked up and started to eat and drink when I stuck it right in front of her face. It looks like it's more of a leg issue unfortunately. She doesn't want to put weight on her left leg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by