chicken drama in my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckbeak, Aug 30, 2007.

1. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Yesterday my 27 Cornish Crosses went to the butcher. We had some tonight for dinner- they were excellent thanks to all the information from here. We are very proud to have raised our own meat.

However, the drama comes from Kreacher, formerly known as Free Rare, now being integrated into my flock of hens with one roo. 5 of them tolerate him, but the 2 biggest hens and roo go after him. I put them together in the coop to sleep, which seems ok. I put Kreacher in an dog cage inside the run when I let them out this morning until the biggest hens laid their eggs. Then I moved those 2 hens and roo into a large tractor that we have. So they were annoyed with me. Kreacher wanders around peeping sadly & the others just look at him. It is so sad that I'm beginning to wish I'd had him butchered too.(I keep saying him- I'm still holding out slim hope that he's a pullet) Will this get better in time? Any advice on how to handle things better?
    Thanks in advance!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sorry I'm all new, so am on more of the taking end of advice rather than the giving.. BUT do have to ask - is Kreacher the chicken the nasty and hateful Kreacher from book 6 or the redeemed and loyal Kreacher from book 7??

Somehow I just have in mind one nasty roo with that name, but sounds like he's more pitiful at the moment...maybe should have named him dobby?? LOL

Susan

3. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    Might just be establishing the pecking order, my new hens and my old flock are doing the same thing.

4. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Oh- the kind and redeemed one, of course! Dobby in our flock is a black silky. However I was not too pleased with Buckbeak tonight- he reminded me of Umbridge!

5. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Probably Dave, but I'm afraid Kreacher will really get hurt and wonder if there is something else I can do to help him be accepted into the flock, even if he is at the bottom of the order.
    Thanks!
    Carol

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    if your free rare is a rooster - you wont be able to integrate them - the roosters will fight to death. you can NEVER add a new rooster with a flock that already has one.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've added roosters to a flock with a dominant rooster. I've actually added and removed many roosters to my flock. Thing is though I free range. That means they can get away when they want to and are only cooped up at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by