Chicken drama last night!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeachygirlGA, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    We were at my son's football game, so got my older son to let the chickens roam for a few hours when he got home from school. We do this pretty much every day. Well, when I got home it was roosting time, so I went outside to shut the door to the coop. Well, 2 hens met me running across the yard and I was thinking something is strange here. The door was already shut!! Apparently the wind had blown it shut and the chickens couldn't get inside. I had the 2 that met me and I opened up and let them in. The rooster and 3 hens were on top of a side coop, and 2 little EE were on TOP of the roost on the wires. I couldn't get them to budge! So my husband came outside and carried the big ones inside the coop and we thought one was missing but found her already on the roost so she must have went in before the wind blew the door shut. Had to get a ladder and some boards to lay across the top for hubby to climb over and get the 2 little ones, who apparently can fly quite high! lol! Had to place them on the roost because they were like zombies! All is well this morning and they are milling about in the run.
    Note to self and to son: Make sure the door is OPEN so the chickens can get back inside!!!!

2. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    This is what I love about my Pullet Shut Automatic door. When it closes, it reopens a few minutes later for any stragglers, then recloses after about 60 seconds. No one has been left outside, yet!! [​IMG]

3. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I'm talking about the door to the outside of the run. I have a separate little door to the coop, but it stays open since the big outside door is closed at night. But that does sound like a handy little door you have there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by