Chicken Drank Medicated Water But Is Not Sick Can We Still Eat Eggs?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovemypeeps, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ilovemypeeps

ilovemypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi! First question asked on BYC [​IMG] So I have a sick hen. She was recently put in a seperate cage (in the coop) and I am giving her medicated water. Today while the cage door was open another chicken ran in and took one drink of medicated water. So is it safe to eat her eggs? We can't know wich is hers (she doesn't sit). If we can't know and it's not safe to eat then we'll just have to throw all our eggs out! [​IMG] Also if it's not safe how long will it be before it's safe to drink again? Thanks for any answers!! [​IMG]

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    So just one sip? Well then you can skip a days eggs if you want but s I think they'll be safe to eat.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    oh and [​IMG]

4. ilovemypeeps

ilovemypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks! I'll probably just throw away any eggs I get today. Thanks for welcoming me to the BYC forum.... I get addicted to forums. [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    is it antibiotic like duramyacin? If so the only reason you dont eat the eggs are because of the antibiotic can cross over in to the egg. People with suppressed immunity could have a problem with antibiotic resistance. One sip of antibotic water I dont think will cause a problem. My vet told me so long as you are healthy you can eat the eggs just not sell them

6. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    A tip we picked up a week or so ago to identify which egg belongs to a specific hen, drip about 10 drops of food coloring into her vent. For a day or two after there will be some streaks of coloring on her eggs. If you need it to last longer, squeeze directly into her vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by