chicken dream come true

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by offmyroost, May 27, 2011.

1. offmyroost

offmyroost Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I am so glad this site exists. I have already had so many questions answered and I haven't begun to scratch the surface. I live in Flagstaff, AZ at an altitude of 7000 feet. I always thought people either had to live at a lower altitude to raise chickens or they had to go to extreme measures to protect them from the cold winters so they idea of raising them seemed far-fetched. Then I got this wild hair to research it. Turns out they can do just fine here. I am thrilled. I wrote the date on the calender that the local feed store would get the first batch of chicks. It seemed like a long wait:/. I was so excited. I ended up with 14 chicks--3 Americaunas, 2 barred rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 leghorns, 1 silverlaced Wyandotte, 2 goldenlaced Wyandottes, and 2 Blue laced red Wyandottes. They currently reside in my quilting studio in a large oval cardboard brooder which has been reinforced with numerous rolls of silver duct tape. They range in age from 7-8 1/2 weeks old. The coop (fashioned from an old porch) might be ready to move them to tomorrow [​IMG]. I was told that chickens raise a lot of dust but I had no idea:(. I will be dusting the studio and washing fabric for a while. We ended up insulating the coop really well. I don't know how warm feathers keep chickens in winter but we wanted to be sure they were ok. Anyway, I could ramble on and on about this new chicken obsession but I have to go make sure they haven't pecked their way to freedom. thanks. -----Sue

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

I know you will enjoy this place!! Lots of nice people!!

I found out the hard way the heavy feathered chickens do much better in cold weather than the heat here in Tucson! In fact, I think cool weather is better over hot any day for anybody!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] A quilting studio? Tell us more!

5. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

6. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum. I agree that chickens seem to do better with cold than heat. They need a lot of ventilation during the warm months. Sounds like you are starting with a great diverse flock. Would love to see some pictures.

7. PreciousChicks

PreciousChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    [​IMG] and hello from New Mexico! [​IMG]
    Enjoy your chickens...they are a real kick!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010