Chicken drinking below feet level

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pibb, Jan 13, 2019.

1. pibb

pibb Chirping

Dec 12, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I've hurt my knee and can't really go back and forth from the coop 4 or 5 times a day because their water is frozen. Luckily is has been kind of warm here. I'm going to use a cookie tin water heater with a stainless steel bowl on top and put some bricks around it so the bowl cant get scooted of the cookie tin. They way that is made, the bottom of the water bowl will be about 3" below thier feet and the water level might be about feet level when topped off.

Do chickens have any problem drinking water below their feet? I don't want them to go thirsty because they cant bend over far enough or something to get to the water.

Shadrach likes this.
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    I'm not getting why the water would be below their feet. Don't you set the water bowl on top of the cookie tin heater?

3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens have no problem drinking water lower than their feet. Many folks do not realize chickens slurp and suck up the water as well as scoop with their lower beak, then they tilt their heads back to let the water run down their throats.

It sounds as if you are taking care that the water can't tip over and spill which would cause a hazard with the light bulbs should they get wet. That would be the biggest concern.

4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I think the chickens will be standing on the bricks.

5. pibb

pibb Chirping

Dec 12, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes. The bricks will be around the tin and bowl. They will have to stand on the bricks to drink. I figured 2 bricks high so the top of the water bowl might be 0.5" above the top brick.

6. pibb

pibb Chirping

Dec 12, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    After freezing weather has passed I plan to take the bowl out and set my 3 gallon plastic waterer on top of the bricks, without using the heater of course.

azygous likes this.
  7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Oh, I get it. Sorry, duh! moment on my part.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine can stand on the rim of a large trough and reach down roughly 6" for water without trouble. I suspect when they are reaching down like that, the water needs to be at least 1/2" deep as they may not be able to submerge lower jaw.

pibb and 123RedBeard like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: