Chicken drinking tons, excessive weight loss, lethargic

Mar 22, 2019
Hi all,
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on with my chicken. Libby is a 3 year old barred rock. She, along with the rest of my flock went through a heavy molt back in the fall and stopped laying eggs. Libby hasn’t layed since early October and was laying well before that. My chickens are fed a good quality layer pellet and they also free range all day. I had started to notice her slowing down in early December. She started to have very watery poops with green in them. I noticed she was eating a lot of grass and not the layer pellets. I put ACV in their water and noticed an improvement. Last week I saw her start to stay back from the flock. She would free range on her own and sit quite a bit puffed and with her eyes. I began to notice that her comb and wattles were shrinking and looked almost like paper. I live in Ontario and our winter temps have been sitting at around -5 degrees so I brought her inside about 3 days ago. She has been on a vitamin and electrolyte mix. I have given her yogurt and sunflower seeds as well as mashing her pellets up with water. She does nothing but eat and drink all day. She empties her water dish 3 times a day. Her poop is very runny with scant amounts of solid poop and high amounts of the white uric acid. I did see her vomit twice too. She sleeps when she is not eating. Her comb and wattles look better but still look floppy. She hasn’t really gotten any better but she hasn’t gotten worse either. I can feel her keel bone protruding. Her crop feels fine her, her vent looks fine but her bum is messy from the diarrhea. She has no fluids coming from her eyes or nostrils. Her breathing is slow and easy. I did not see any mites or lice, her feather look pretty good actually. All my other chickens are fine. I feel like this is not something that is contagious. More of an organ failure problem or tumour issue?
38981FE9-9D68-4A62-A28D-EAF277982946.jpeg
D7A89983-F051-4260-B600-127234C56CBC.jpeg
FFB56478-1F57-4BEF-B5DF-D87BE344130B.jpeg
080FD4CA-4CC9-4C07-B13D-04A176AC75B1.jpeg
DCE387A8-4AC9-4FE2-945E-8B85AB7E9EB9.jpeg
Any thoughts?

I suspect that she has a crop disorder where her nutrients are not getting absorbed. Crop problems many times are related to other problems, such as reproductive problems or cancer. @azygous and @Two crows have some good threads on helping crop problems. Is her crop full and hard or is it puffy like a balloon? I would stop the sunflower seeds or any whole grains for now, and feed mushy watery feed and yogurt with some occasional scrambled egg. Feel of the crop early tomorrow am and check if it is emptying overnight.

I suspect that she has a crop disorder where her nutrients are not getting absorbed. Crop problems many times are related to other problems, such as reproductive problems or cancer. @azygous and @Two crows have some good threads on helping crop problems. Is her crop full and hard or is it puffy like a balloon? I would stop the sunflower seeds or any whole grains for now, and feed mushy watery feed and yogurt with some occasional scrambled egg. Feel of the crop early tomorrow am and check if it is emptying overnight.
Thanks, I will try that. Her crop right now is neither hard nor puffy. It feels quite empty actually. She hasn’t eaten too much today.

I also forgot to mention that I felt under her belly where you would normally feel for an egg and it feels round like a grapefruit and spongy.

Does she have poultry grit available normally to help her gizzard grind food? I would give her today, some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck or 1 tsp of mineral oil mixed into a little egg. Keep feeling for her crop, since it looks big in the picture.

A large lower belly could be ascites which is fluid from liver disease. It can be common in hens with internal laying, cancer, or heart failure. Does it feel spongy or tight like a drum? Things like ascites, internal laying of lash egg material, or cancer can cause pressure inside the abdomen. That pressure can slow down digestion with pressure on intestines and the gizzard. Can you post more pictures of droppings later? The pictures of the one has some chunky material in it.

Drinking tons of water can be a sign of obstruction. The cause of the obstruction, however, probably won't be readily obvious.

Since her crop isn't very expanded, the cause may be a soft egg stuck. Do this - push against her vent and see if she squats and tries to poop.

If she does try to squat and appear to try to poop, give her a calcium tablet. This will help to produce strong contractions to expel a stuck egg.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Do offer her grit as @Eggcessive suggested. If her gizzard is impacted, she will crave grit. This may be why she was eating grass. She may also be impacted with the grass if she has been eating it in lieu of food due to a condition called "pica" where a brain disorder causes a chicken or other animal, including humans, to eat weird stuff that isn't food.

Does she have poultry grit available normally to help her gizzard grind food? I would give her today, some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck or 1 tsp of mineral oil mixed into a little egg. Keep feeling for her crop, since it looks big in the picture.
I don’t give grit to my chickens as they free range. They eat a bit of pellets and either scratch or cracked corn and then they leave the run for the day and don’t comeback until bedtime and then they eat a little more before heading in to the coup for the night. I had kept a small bowl of the cracked corn in the cage with her watered down food because she was eating cracked corn when she was outside. I was hoping it would put some weight back on her. Her crop was full last night (hard and lumpy) but it is soft now so I am not sure that her crop is blocked. I will give her some coco oil though

Back
Top Bottom